Unfortunately, some people have to deal with excessive crotch sweat on a daily basis.
10 WAYS TO DEAL WITH GROIN SWEAT (AKA SWASS)
1. The Right Underwear
What you wear matters when it comes to excessive crotch sweat - especially what you wear under your clothes.
- Overly tight
- Non-breathable material
- Polyester/synthetic fabrics
- Cotton or moisture wicking materials.
- If extreme sweat, padded underwear which are made to absorb excess sweat
2. Use Antiperspirant
Using antiperspirant is one of the most effective things you can do to stop crotch sweat production.
Antiperspirant works best when it is applied after a shower to dry skin before bed time, this allows it to sink into sweat glands and form a barrier that will be effective the next day.
3. Use Hygiene Hacks
- Shower twice a day
- Change your clothes any time sweating becomes excessive
- Wash your groin in between changes
- Keep baby wipes with you
- Store extra underwear 
4. Apply Powder
There are a few types of powder that can be useful when you have crotch sweat but they all serve to:
- Absorb moisture
- Reduce irritation
- Prevent chafing
- Reduce itching.
It’s important to avoid powders that contain talc as it has been associated with the development of ovarian cancer when used by women.
However, there are powders with bases like cornstarch or baking soda, among others. Some brands, like Carpe, make powders that are specifically formulated for use on the groin and are considered to be safe.
5. Groom to Your Advantage
While grooming your pubic region will not completely hinder crotch sweat production it may lessen how much you trap and make it easier to keep clean.
Retaining some pubic hair may be to your advantage as it has the ability to reduce friction between clothing and skin and wick moisture away from the skin’s surface.
However, keeping hair short and trimmed is recommended because this makes it less likely for bacteria, which are responsible for body odor, to stay trapped on the surface of the skin. It also makes your groin easier to clean so that hygienic practices are more effective.
6. Wear Loose Fitting Clothing
This one may seem obvious, but wearing loose fitting clothing can make you less likely to sweat and keep the sweat you do produce from lingering on your skin.
Tight fitting pants will raise the temperature of your groin and make crotch sweat worse.
This applies to underwear as well, men may want to opt for boxers instead of briefs and women should probably avoid skin tight panties.
7. Try Relaxation Techniques
For some people, anxiety can make groin sweating worse.
You may want to try biofeedback, mediation, yoga, or another type of relaxation activity to relax your mind and body.
Relaxation by itself will not cure hyperhidrosis, but it can improve the symptoms and help you deal with the repercussions of having a stressful condition.
8. Get Botox Injections
When more conservative approaches have failed, it may be time to seek out medical intervention.
Botox injections are known to stop the production of sweat and have successfully been used to treat crotch sweat.
They are used to treat excessive sweating on other parts of the body like the armpits, hands, and feet. The effects of botox injections last between three and six months and they have been highly effective for some who use them.
If you are interested in trying botox then make an appointment with a knowledgeable dermatologist.
9. Try Oral Medications
Some doctors will prescribe medications to stop the body from producing as much sweat. Usually these medications come from a class of medications called anticholinergics. They can be helpful for some people but have the potential to cause undesirable side effects like dry mouth, constipation, nausea, drowsiness, and many others. This is because oral medications affect the whole body rather than just target the specific problem area. In some cases doctors may use antidepressants, beta blockers, or benzodiazepines to reduce anxiety and therefore improve the symptoms of hyperhidrosis.
10. Adopt a Healthier Lifestyle
Sometimes excessive sweating can be worsened by a person’s lifestyle. This can be due to the fact that a person is obese, has a poorly treated underlying medical condition, or if they consume too much alcohol or caffeine. The symptoms of hyperhidrosis, or sweating in general, can be improved by taking steps to remedy these issues. If someone is obese, losing weight may help and if someone is driniking too much caffeine or alcohol reducing consumption can make a difference. If you think your sweating is due to an untreated medical condition then it is imperative that you speak with your doctor. Receiving proper treatment may solve several of your health issues.
Dealing with excessive crotch sweat is frustrating and sometimes people feel like there isn’t much they can do. These tips and tricks may help. Try them out so that you can get on with your life not worry about sweating down there.
- Pariser, D. M. (2014). Hyperhidrosis (4th ed., Vol. 32). Amsterdam: Elsevier Pub. Co., 2014. Retrieved from https://www.elsevier.com/books/hyperhidrosis-an-issue-of-dermatologic-clinics/pariser/978-0-323-32607-0
- Sweaty Vagina: Why It Happens and What You Can Do. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/womens-health/sweaty-vagina#wicking-underwear
- Zirwas, M. J., & Moennich, J. (2008). Antiperspirant and Deodorant Allergy Diagnosis and Management. The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, 1(3), 38-43. Retrieved August 26, 2019, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3013594/
- Is the Sweating Between My Legs Excessive? Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/how-do-i-stop-sweating-between-my-legs#overview
- What Causes Excessive Testicular Sweating, and How Can I Treat It? (n.d.). Retrieved August 26, 2019, from https://www.healthline.com/health/what-causes-excessive-testicular-sweating-and-how-can-i-treat-it
- Carpe Takes Aim At Groin Sweat, Launches Groin Powder With Precision Lever Sprayer. (2019, May 22). Retrieved August 26, 2019, from http://classifieds.usatoday.com/press/carpe-takes-aim-at-groin-sweat-launches-groin-powder-with-precision-lever-sprayer/